Part 1 of a post series.This first one just deals with what this series will be about.
Extreme Other:Of the small population of expats/immigrants in a homogeneous society,these people are of one of the smallest groups and these people look very different from the native people of said country , causing them to stick out more.
Example:Korea is 96% ethnically Korean,the other 4% are made up of many other cultures,of the many people groups,people of African descent are on low side of this small percentage,they are minority of a minority,and as so are an extreme other.
Another type of extreme other in Korean would be anyone of a Hispanic or Latino background.The thing is a lot of people(here) don’t have a grasp of what Latino is , so these people are often seen as being from another Asian countries(Not my opinion but what I’ve heard from Latinos here).But being the fact that I’m not a Latina I can’t tell you how that feels.
But I can tell you about being black in Korea and China.I putting these in the a new Category I’m calling the Good,the Bad,and the Ugly.
It’s just the beginning….,